If you are concerned about telling your child you are getting a divorce, you are not alone. Most parents agree one of the most difficult aspects of breaking up is the repercussions it has on their children. Though it can be heart-wrenching, it doesn’t have to be--by considering your child’s feelings, you can avoid having this news be a major shock.
Consider the following tips in telling your children you are getting a divorce:
- Choose the right time--make sure your child is not preoccupied with other issues at hand
- Keep it as simple as possible, and don’t overload him or her with any unnecessary information
- Tell your child together, to ensure he or she gets the same version of the story
- Remind your child it is not his or her fault, and your reasons for divorce are entirely separate
- Keep him or her in a safe, secure, and loving environment for as much as you possibly can. Don’t disappear too soon after breaking the news, and don’t make any promises you can’t keep.
- Don’t bad mouth one parent behind his or her back, as this will create trust and resentment issues for your child
Contact Our Murray Hill Divorce Attorneys Today
If you and your spouse have come to the conclusion your marriage is no longer working, look no further for Murray Hill divorce lawyers to fight for you than ours at Goldweber Epstein LLP. We are committed to delivering you the most optimal results possible, which is why you can rest assured you are in the right hands when you have us on your side. Allow us to advocate on your behalf today.
If you would like to schedule an initial consultation with a member of our firm, please don’t hesitate to do so by calling (917) 809-7669.